Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A pencil that doesn't break....WOW!

Many pencil users are in disbelief about O'BON claiming that our pencils don't break.  Now, we are not saying that they never break, but it is damn hard to break the lead in an O'BON pencil.  We ask you to do the SMASH test.
The SMASH test involves taking a sharpened O'BON pencil and a wood pencil in one hand.  Make sure they are sharpened.  Then smash both the pencils on the edge of a table.  Don't hit the point, but the body of the pencil.  Smash it repeatedly - hard.  I mean hard.  Now wiggle the point.  Still intact, probably both pencils seem to be ok.  Now sharpen them.
Test Results:
The O'BON pencil lead is not cracked and works fine.  The other pencil lead is cracked and the point wiggles and easily come out when pulled.

How is this possible?
Many think that the O'BON doesn't break because it is cushioned by the newspaper.  This is not the correct answer.  The O'BON pencil is made by wrapping old newspaper 36 times around the graphite.  The graphite is sealed in - airtight.  There is no air gap inside, so when the pencil is smashed on the table or drops on the floor, there is no vibration inside the barrel.  Wood pencils are made with two slates of wood, grooved for the lead and glued together.  There is always an air gap - an air grap allows vibration inside the pencil against the fragile graphite.  So, snap, crackle, pop!
Another reason why we claim our pencils are "the world's greatest pencil."   

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have tried it! Well, I didn't believe what he said so I did the experiment. I smashed O'BON pencil 3x on the floor as if I was smashing a shuttlecock in a badminton game. Really, the graphite doesn't break after the 3 hard smashes! COOL!! Anymore experiments on O'BON's products?

Anonymous said...

Some people worry that the O'BON recycled newspaper pencil can't get wet. Boil it. I did it for 3 hours once and although it gets wet, it doesn't come apart. You can use it, no damage.!

Anonymous said...

Just did the boiling for 30 minutes with the same pencil I used to smash earlier and it was enough to proof the result. More?

Patriotjohn said...

I enjoyed running over the pencil with my car. I have done it 10 times...back and forth. O'BON didn't break. I posted this on Youtube. It is kind of fun. Make sure the road is flat.
I also dropped my O'BON pencil from a 20 storey building. Same result...the lead was intact. Make sure it has clear sailing to the bottom.